About This Kit
Arguably the best upgrade for a 3D printer, Auto Bed Leveling is here to stay. Twiddling
the adjustment wheels to level your bed is one of the biggest annoyances of the Ender 3 and many other printers for that matter.
Uptanium has released this ABL kit that utilizes a capacitive Z-Probe sensor so you can choose any build surface you want. Capacitive sensors work on Glass, aluminium, BuildTak, and more.One of the best and most recommended is Glass. The Uptanium ABL kit uses bi-linear auto bed leveling and will sense multiple positions on the build surface and extrapolate, or guess what angle, the rest of the bed is outside of each probe point. Glass is probably the straightest material and is easier for ABL to construct a very accurate level surface.
The uptanium Auto Bed Leveling kit also utilizes an optocoupler to electrically isolate the capacitive sensor. Why you ask? Since the capacitive sensor uses the variation in capacitance of itself and the build surface, any electrical noise generated from the 3D printers power supply could interfere and result in unreliable sensor readings. To get the best repeatability and most accurate bed leveling, an optocoupler is a must have for a capacitive sensor.
So how accurate is the Uptanium ABL kit? For the average on a test of 50 probes, the standard deviation is 0.039 +-0.004. For perspective, that is less than half of the finest layer height of .1. Or, less than 5 percent of your average .4 mm nozzle width. That's really good.
A note about Creality Ender 3 printers. Creality has been shipping then without a bootloader. In our Uptanium Ender 3 Auto Bed Leveling Kit, we include a bootloader burning tool USBasp Programmer Kit. This tool can also take a firmware snapshot. Learn more about our Uptanium USBasp Programmer bootloader/Snapshot kit here.
Ender 3 Pro
Ender 5 COMING SOON!
- Full Email Support in case you have questions - Check our Amazon feedback and ratings. We are serious about support.
- Detailed and clear PDF instructions with pictures written by Uptanium
- Capacitive Sensor
- Uptanium USBasp Programmer Kit to burn a bootloader and upload the newer Marlin 1.1.9 firmware
- Optocoupler for electrical isolation
- Pre-compiled Firmware-simply upload and go
- No compiling or configuration files to mess with
- Marlin configurations included if you want to make changes and compile yourself
- Packaged software on USB drive including Installation PDF/Pronterface/avrdudess/STL files for included parts
- Bonus firmware - Included backup stock Ender 3 /Ender 3 Pro
- Thermal runaway protection has been enabled in the firmware for this kit.
How hard is it to install?
The only tools needed are a small flat head screw driver, 2.5mm allen wrench and a Philips head. That's it. The typical installation
should take approximately 30-60 minutes following the include instructional PDF.
Our kit provides unparalleled installation instructions that cover each step in detail with pictures for reference and ease of installation. The Ender 3 ABL kit contains 52 pages of installation steps to take your machine from stock to ABL equipped as easily as possible. We do not expect users to delve into compiling firmware. One of our unique approaches to simplifying the upgrade process is to provide previously compiled firmware so the user is fast tracked to installation completion. However, advanced users may enjoy our complete configuration files that are included with the kit. If you want to change firmware settings, we give you the the option to tweak your firmware.
Below are excerpts from the Uptanium ABL installation doc to show the level of detail we put into our kits. As with all of our kits, free email support is always included. Please see our ratings on Amazon of the level of commitment and support we offer each and every customer.
- We included a kit overview to outline the the steps in which the upgrade will follow. Our goal is to provide easy indexing of topics to easily aid in finding information. The upgrade will follow the general steps outlined here.
- In order to understand the upgrade and what the parts are, we have expanded the overview section to give a deeper understanding to what exactly is being installed. For the upgrade, we feel that it is important to give a deeper understanding of how this all works. We don't expect users to install a kit and have it operating but have little understanding of what it actually does.
- This page shows where the Uptanium Ender 3 Kit excels in value. Other kits expect you to purchase a separate tool (generic UNO) device to install their kit. This is a hidden cost along with shipping that we have eliminated by including a USBasp programmer to burn a bootloader AND upload pre-compiled firmware.
- Once again in this section we leverage the pre-compiled firmware and upload it using the custom USBasp programmer. You can also use this USBasp programmer in Arduino IDE to customize your Uptanium firmware using "Programmer: USBasp" programmer type under tools. Cool right?
- Layering on more detailed steps, we include a section that details calibrating and adjusting the capacitive sensor.
- Detailed list covering the exact parts that are included in the Uptanium Ender 3 ABL kit in case you need replacement parts.